Family Leave Insurance
As of July 1, 2009, New Jersey law provides up to six (6) weeks of Family Leave Insurance benefits. Benefits are payable to covered employees from either the New Jersey State Plan or an approved employer-provided private plan to:
- Bond with a child during the first 12 months after the child’s birth, if the covered individual or the domestic partner or civil union partner of the covered individual, is a biological parent of the child, or the first 12 months after the placement of the child for adoption with the covered individual.
- Care for a family member with a serious health condition supported by a certification provided by a health care provider. Claims may be filed for six consecutive weeks, for intermittent weeks or for 42 intermittent days during a 12 month period beginning with the first date of the claim.
Family member means a child, spouse, domestic partner, civil union partner or parent of a covered individual.
Child means a biological, adopted, or foster child, stepchild or legal ward of a covered individual, child of a domestic partner of the covered individual, or child of a civil union partner of the covered individual, who is less than 19 years of age or is 19 years of age or older but incapable of self-care because of mental or physical impairment.
Click here to visit the New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development website for more information.
- Family Leave Insurance Acknowledgement
- Guide to Family Leave Insurance
- Family Leave Insurance Fact Sheet
- Family Leave Insurance Application
- Benefit Calculation & Duration of Benefits
*Completed forms should be submitted to Colleen DeStasi in the Business Office.